Thursday, May 26, 2016

Lost - A Pillar of my life, a Mentor of Masonry

It has been a bitter sweet few hours, since I learned of the passing of Charles T. Myer. You see, Charlie and I go back to 1987 ish. I was getting ready to assume the Oriental chair in the Lodge (which he never knew), and each last Saturday in June, Charlie would camp out in my yard. He had carte blanche to head in the house and be part of the family. At our first meeting, it was because we were Ham Radio buddies. W8VCF (Very Cold Feet) and I (WB8Q) was his electronic Beta tester for commodore 64 Computer Ham Radio goodies. We would visit into the wee hours of the night talking ham radio. One Evening in 1989, sitting in the living room, he looked up at the wall, with a bit of excitement says, are you a Mason ? I told him I was, then he related that his trips to the U.P. every year were because he was a Grand Council Officer in R.S.M. I knew nothing about York Rite, until that very moment. A defining moment in my life I might add, as we talked the rest of the night about York Rite Masonry, and the rest is history. He mentored me into the organization. When I did my first Commandery Inspection as Commander, Charlie was there. He was there when I became Most Illustrious Grand Master, following his footsteps. He was there when I was installed Most Worshipful Grand Master. I was humbled to present him with his 60 year pin for Masonry. The stories of working at Ford, his service in the Military Airborne Division, and all the rest are flooding back in overwhelming clarity this very moment. We loved each other unconditionally, and looked forward to each and every meeting we could sit together. Though we lived 450 miles apart, I would travel, and stop at Charlies and sleep on his couch. He would relate the scandalous story of allowing the ladies in to see the secret work of the Council up in Iron Mountain, and he would be tickled to tell it each time. I loved to listen, even though I heard it each year for many. He would invite me to be his "date" at Grand Lodge, since he came as an honored guest, having been chosen "Mason of the Year". I sat at the Grand Lodge Banquet last night, alone in my thoughts, wondering where Charlie was. He never missed.......... Dear Most Illustrious Companion and Brother Charlie, now I know where you were. I put both our MIGM Pictures here, showing the Mystic tie we enjoyed. You let me use your gavel, for my pictures and to preside over the Grand Council. I still hear your welcome words, How's the Crazy Frenchman, the Whop and the Brat doing, referring lovingly to Me, Angela and Stephanie.I recite the very poem you gave me so many years ago, as a farewell tribute to you my old friend........ Farewell, soft and safe your travels.................

He was getting old and paunchy, and his hair was falling fast,
and he sat around the clubroom telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
in his exploits with his buddies, they were heroes, everyone.

And though sometimes to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
all his buddies listened, for they knew of where he spoke.

But we'll hear his tales no longer, for he has passed away,
and the world's a little poorer, for a Veteran died today.

No, he won't be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
for he lived an ordinary very quiet sort of life.

He held a job and raised a family, quietly going on his way,
and the world won't note his passing tho a Veteran died today.

He was one, who in times of war and strife,
goes off to serve his country and offers up his life.

He was just a common Veteran, and his ranks are growing thin,
but his presence should remind us we may need his like again.

If we cannot do him honor, while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least lets give him homage at the end of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline, in the paper that might say,

OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A VETERAN DIED TODAY.

~ Charles Myer