Wednesday, June 24, 2015

When Service Dogs are distracted, a life could be in danger

Since Grand Chapter of OES is working with these critters, This is a fitting article.  Please take note:

Hailey was hurt recently when her service dog, Flynn the Aussie, got distracted. Actually, someone distracted him.  Flynn missed a critical window. “Seizure alert service dogs generally have a timeframe between when they alert to when the seizure actually happens,” said Hailey.
But on this particular day at her father’s workplace, Hailey was busy and didn’t immediately ask a well-meaning person who stopped to pet Flynn not to do so. Precious minutes went by.
“I am used to him giving me 10 minute warnings, so when he alerted that’s what I thought I had,” explained Hailey. “Out of nowhere I remember the world going black. I woke up with Flynn on top of my legs and my father cradling my head. On the whole left side of my face there was a terrible sting that made me tear up.”
Hailey took out her phone to check out how bad it was and saw the rug burns on her cheek and forehead. She looked down and saw the blood where her face skidded along the carpet.
“It hurt for air to even touch it,” said Hailey, who is not one to complain. “I live with chronic pain and I have a very high pain tolerance.”

“Please do not pet, call, or do anything to distract service dogs without explicit permission from the handler,” said Hailey. “Next time, instead of a rug burn somebody could get seriously hurt or die.”

“To get a service dog you must be disabled to the point where you can no longer function at a normal quality of life without the assistance of service dogs,” said Hailey. “It takes around two years of intense training and thousands of dollars (if you owner train) to actually be able to call your dog a service dog. A service dog can go anywhere its handler goes, with the exception of a sterile environment such as an operating room or burn unit, a religious building — such as a church, or some federal buildings.”

“To call him a “velcro dog” is an understatement,” said Hailey. “If he senses a seizure he will usually jump up or paw at me about ten minutes before one happens. This allows me to get somewhere safe, call for help, and take medication. If I fall he can retrieve my medication or phone. He can even bark if I am unconscious to alert somebody.”

In Michigan we spend approximately 15 Thousand dollars to train and ready a service dog to go "On the Job".

Think about this the next time you reach out to pet a working canine.