Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Reflection on Dad .....

I came into the World when he was 49. He had already been father to three other boys and a wife who passed away. Two of the boys were adopted out to his siblings, and he was struggling to raise the third.  He met mother in Lansing, 23 years younger than him, took her on vacation to the Upper Peninsula, and she never returned home.  They married June 25, 1960 and I came along May of 1961.
Dad had not feet when I was born, though at that time it never slowed him down. He painted signs for businesses, had a very artistic side, was easily able to hypnotize folks, repair electronics, TV, radios, Two-way radios, and loved to hunt. He was a very social creature, and enjoyed life as best he could despite losing both his legs. I had time with him till I was 12, when he had a stroke and spent the rest of his 16 years being cared for in a Nursing home. He always called them an undertakers waiting room. He passed of old age at 80 years old. I lost Dad twice, once to the stoke, when I was forced to become the Alpha male at 12, then again when he went home to our creator in 1990. He was unique, I never seen him emotional, though I know he loved. I have his first name as my middle, and was proud of his brief influence in my life. I have lived here longer without him, than with, though his life burned memories deep in my soul, never to be forgotten. Thank you Eustace LeVeque for being my Dad.