Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day

Another year without mom. Its a white rose for me, as mom passed 31 years ago.  If your Mother is still on the Earth, you should count yourself lucky, and honor her, no excuses. Life is short. I am now older than Mom was when she passed away.

Leona was her name. She was the dispenser of discipline, the driver of the School Bus, the washer of clothes, the driver of the car, the grocery shopper, the care giver.  she was young, 28 when she married a 49 year old man, and a year later I showed up.  I am an only child.  I do not know sibling rivalry. I do not like arguing, there is always compromise.

She hated living in the U.P., but she loved my dad, so stayed her whole life here. She was diabetic, had thyroid issues, kidney disease and loved Pepsi and Winstons. She provided a stable roof over my head, I never wanted for food or clothing. Life was simple, eating out was rare. I was in bed at 9 pm every night until I turned 18.  When I moved that morning she said not to return unless I wanted to pay rent.  I never went back, but I did visit. Her last years were lonely.

Life was not meant to be lived alone.  God gave man a woman, to be by his side and support him.

I will see Mom again one day when I transition to that undiscovered country, from whence no traveler returns.  Until then, Happy Mother's Day, thanks for raising me correctly....