Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Catching up on paperwork...... Thoughts from the Office

There was a time when I would sit in this office for hours, attached to the technology that allowed me to function.  Nowadays I can do everything I need to do from any location on the globe that I can get internet access. This has came a long way since the early days of the office.  I remember the first computer, a commodore 64 with a cassette tape to store and load programs from.  Then I graduated to an IBM Model 25 with 2 floppy disk drives and a 10 MB hard drive. I had a 14.4K modem attached to access the internet. But even before that, I connected it to the Ham Radio for exchanging information and mail. From there it was a Dell, then an HP, then back to a Dell.  My current Office machine is the only Windows machine I have on site, a Dell 8300 which is very old by today's standards.  Ive replaced the power supply and video board.  It has 2 monitors on it, so I can have lots of workspace. The wifi is built in, and the whole office is wireless. There are 2 printers, one duplex black toner, and one color multi function color laser.  Over the last 4 years I have not seen a need to upgrade, as the technology has kept me at par.  I have went to the dark side though, and Apple has become one of my best friends.  Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPads, iPhone, Apple TV, iPods, Apple mouse and the list goes on.  They are easier to maintain, more reliable and less time spent with antivirus.  Plus I guess I have been caught cleaning the tops and keyboards, something a PC user would never do. Funny enough only my old Apple Laptop had a Super Disk Drive for CDs and DVDs.  Most everything else is download and/or USB drives to access information and programs.......
I'm just waiting for the next innovation that will make our lives even more productive..........