Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Take care of your own - A trip to Shriners


It's important when we are immersed in the service of others, not to forget our own. Such was the case this week when I took a break from the daily grind to care for my Grandson Junie.  He was accepted to Shriners Hospital for Children, and it was his first Appointment.  Now interestingly enough, I've been going to the Twin Cities unit off and on since they built the new hospital in 1991 and tore down the old one. First Impressions are important, and I wanted to make sure that it would be a somewhat stress free first visit. We had the usual wrap around care, and the appointments were stacked in our favor, they even molded his feet and made the orthotics in less than 24 hours, even in a chosen pattern and color.  Because Shriners is for Children, and adults are allowed to hang out, it is a departure from the norm. Once again, even with care in my own extended family, I am proud to say I am a Shriner. "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child".