Friday, May 15, 2015

Packing the car..... Heading South

The Family is loading the car while I put in the last day at work for the week.  I am wondering if I will forget something. It always happens. All I can hope for is to look presentable, and hope I don't say anything goofy.
It is the last day of crossing the Mackinac Bridge as Grand Master, I may stop for a photo opportunity.
Some days have been exhausting, some exhilarating, never did I like the long ride in the car, except when stairway to heaven was on the radio. I'm rounding the corner now, the staff is leaving today to set up. I'll be in Alma for the meeting of Knight York Cross of Honor, the one last engagement as Grand Master. Saturday afternoon we head North to the Grand Traverse for the Business of Grand Lodge.
The picture here is of Frank the fat deer, my traveling mascot this past year. I got him at my reception, and he has been a great help, not to mention he saves all my change for a rainy day ;-)
On a funny note, I have had my back window lined with stuffed deer from my reception.  Haven't hit a deer all year long.  A little old lady totaled the car during the holidays when she T-boned me, but everyone was safe and the car still moves.  So anyway, I'm headed home from the Grand Lodge Audit meeting, after donating my stuffed friends to new homes, and guess what happens ?  I hit a deer.  But not just any deer.  This one was in the middle of the road, Dead !  In fact the semi that killed it is what distracted my attention in the night on the side of the highway. The clunk of hitting it was reminiscent of 6 other cars that have succumbed to the beastly animals over the past 7 years.  Car is still moving, and all is well.
I just want to pause while I'm still in a "position" to, and thank the many brothers, Lodges and people in general who have been on this journey with me.  It takes a State to support a Grand Master, and you, yes you, have supported this Grand Master in a fine manner.  As I get ready to change my name,  my heart is tender with the memories created this year, more than one man deserves. If you get to Grand Lodge, please come greet me, I look forward to seeing many of you........